Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Letter to 2015.

2015. 
365 days. 
52 weeks... 
and 52 Mondays. Gross. 

Here is my letter to 2015.



Hello 2015,

I can't believe you're finally coming to an end. We've had some pretty great times, and some pretty low ones too. I thought today I'd write to you about these memories. 
I remember the cold. The freezing. The snow days and glory days of your winter storms. The hot chocolate, feeling warm in my throat, and the ache of the bruises on my knees after skiing for an hour too long. The horrendous hours spent trying to film in the snow, only to find the footage didn't come out quite as planned. The pain of my toes starting to warm back up after a chilly photoshoot where I slipped on the black ice. But I also remember the sun. The first warm day of the year. Easter, and that one time I stuck easter eggs on my ears and walked around in public with them. Our two year anniversary on YouTube. My lucky opportunity to travel to Europe, and coming home to see we had gained so many new subscribers. The smile on my face as we celebrated this achievement, and the frown when a stop motion had failed. The decent into summer. Longer days and shorter nights. My birthday swung past, as did my best friend's. School closed it's doors. The stress went away for a few weeks at least. The car ride to camp... the hours spent staring out the window into a vast nothingness. The way my eyes widened when I got cell reception at camp for the first time. That empty feeling when camp was over. The dozens of new contacts in my phone for my new friends. The excitement I felt when I pulled into my driveway. The phone-call I made to my best friend, because even though I had just spent three weeks away in the mountains, and four hours in the car, all I wanted to see was my best friend. I remember the stupid movie we watched that night. I remember discovering Photo Booth, and from it, arose so many hilarious inside jokes. I remember the days becoming a little shorter, and the trip to Maine. The ocean breeze, and salty smell. The meet-up on the beach, and the struggles of doll photography in the wind. I think of the mall, that late August day when I saw the maroons, the navy blues, the army greens, and realized that Autumn was not far away. I remember seeing fall photoshoots way to early for my taste. That horrible feeling of putting on your school uniform for the first time in months, but also the excitement of seeing your friends again. That rush when you realize your best friend is in your favorite class, and the feeling when your assigned seat is next to somebody annoying; but the even better feeling when you find out that "annoying" person is actually pretty cool. I remember the taste of chocolate in my mouth, and the endless bag of candy. The countless days of tears rolling down my face in laughter at the hilarious things said in the group chat, and also the number of days spent with just tears, and no laughter. I remember the beautiful leaves my state is known for in the Autumn, and the way they disappeared so quickly. The oddly warm winter that began, and the taste of bitter thoughts and family feuds upon a Thanksgiving meal. The way my feet ached that day from walking away. I remember the posts about how it's too early for Christmas. I remember the sermons in church about how Christmas was just around the corner. I see the lights every time I close my eyes. The light shows, the light-up sweaters, the lights wrapped around the tree. The taste of peppermint, and the way that the last lunch at school before Christmas is always the best. I remember Christmas morning, and the excitement in my eyes, and seeing my siblings. The sadness the day after Christmas. It's hard to believe it's over. I remember that 2016 is just a few days away, and I remember the year about to be just a memory. I remember you, 2015.

Sincerely,
Lynne 












No comments:

Post a Comment